- Avoid discussing sensitive issues over the phone. Try to speak in person if possible.
- If necessary to discuss over the phone, have the caller use the security phrase set up on MyRED for those who have written consent.
- Never leave a message with sensitive information.
- For school officials, law enforcement, or other individuals who meet UNL's exceptions, use caution and reasonable effort to verify the identity of the caller.
- Do not put sensitive information in the subject line such as name or NUID. Hackers can easily scan subject lines as well as anyone in close proximity.
- Always blind copy (BCC) students when emailing a group of students.
- Do not communicate grades or other sensitive information in an email. Instead, use Blackboard, Canvas, or another secure platform.
- Always use appropriate and professional language in the message.
- Do not place personally identifiable student information on any social media websites.
- Advise students to use caution when using these sites.
- Do not send private information through fax.