FERPA defines basic rights for students.
- The student is required to be notified annually of their FERPA rights
- The student is to be able to review and inspect their records
- The student has the right to request an amendment to their educational record they believe is inaccurate or misleading
The student must consent to disclosure of non-public educational
The University is allowed to select some information about a student to make accessible to the public. This information is called "Directory Information." Public Directory Information is student information that is available to the public. Non-Public Directory Information is not available to the public, but is available to any University Official or student.
Public Directory Information
- Student name
- Year at the University
- Dates of attendance
- Academic college and major field of study
- Enrollment status (undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time)
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Degrees, honors and awards received
- Most recent educational agency or institution attended
- University Email Address
Non-Public Directory Information
- Local address
- Permanent address
- Telephone listings
The University of Nebraska is restricted to only providing access to student public directory information. All other information: grades, academic standing, course schedule, etc.., are restricted to the student and those to whom the student grants access.