What is FERPA?

During elementary and high school, FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) allows parents and students access and control over a child's educational record. However, ownership of the record transfers to the student at the college level.  UNL must protect the educational record of a student in accordance with FERPA.  UNL can share directory information, provided the student has not put a restriction on it. Directory information includes the students: name, local address, permanent address, telephone number, year at the University, dates of attendance, academic college and major field of study, enrollment status (undergraduate/graduate, full-time/part-time), participation in officially recognized activities/sports, degrees, honors and awards received and most recent educational agency or institution attended.

What has changed since K-12?

In primary and secondary educational institutions (i.e., K-12), all FERPA rights belong to the parent. However, when the student reaches the age of 18 or admitted and eligible to enroll at UNL regardless of age, all FERPA rights transfer to the student.

But I'm paying the bill, why can't I get a copy of their records?

FERPA requires that access to a student's record must be approved by the student. The easiest route is to have your student grant access to their records by creating a guest account in MyRED.

Alternatively, parents also can receive information about their student’s record if they submit proof that the student is a dependent. Proof is considered to be a copy of the most recent year’s federal tax form showing that the parent claims the student as a dependent.

For further information, you can check out our FAQ.


What does it all mean?

  • As a parent, UNL can only give out information that is listed on the directory information if the student has not restricted that information.
  • Without the student's consent, parents are not able to access students grades, course schedule, etc.
  • Student non-directory information can be released if the information is "necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals."  Parents should contact the Vice Chancellor's Office of Student Affairs if they feel they need this information.